When you are having friends or family over or attending a picnic or potluck, the environment does not have to suffer. Please consider the following tips for making your social gatherings as green as possible.
- Try not to use disposable plates, cups, and utensils. If you don’t have enough in one set, it’s fun to mix and match (which also makes it easier for everyone to remember which cup is theirs!). You can also buy cheap dishes etc. at Goodwill or a yard sale and keep them for future parties.
- If you must use disposables, buy those that are recycled and recyclable, or compostable, and be sure to provide your guests with marked bins to put them in when they are finished.
- Bring your own dishes, cups, and utensils when you attend a picnic or potluck and bring them home for washing.
- Provide your guests with glasses and put out large bottles or pitchers of the beverages you are serving. Using single serve beverages, including water bottles, may be convenient, but it is so wasteful!
- Buying local and/or organic produce is also a better choice for your health and the environment.
Your party can also be a party for the Earth!